Wednesday, September 03, 2008

news from the quill

I often send readers over to George Murray's bookninja.com to get their book news, but of course Quillblog (an online division of Quill & Quire magazine) is right on top of the industry as well -- and you never have to worry about Nathan Whitlock trying too hard to be cuddly. Sorry George, but you are a teddy bear.

Today's Quill offers all sorts of wonders:

John McCain's VP pick has some book banning in her past. What's that, embarrassing revelations about Sarah Palin? Since when?

and, then there's this juicy item:

Vampire love story author Stephanie Meyer suffered a rather extreme copyright violation when an early draft of her latest work, Midnight Sun, was pilfered by someone (a good-hearted fan, maybe?) and then spread about the Internet. Meyer has decided to discontinue work on the book. Way to go Internet -- you've struck another blow for... blowing.

See, if someone put one of my early drafts on the Internet while I was still working on a book, I wouldn't get very far past the vomiting and cringing stage. My first drafts are horrible to behold, and I need to keep them in a dark underground chamber where they belong.

Meyer, on the other hand, managed to put out a public statement:

“I think it is important for everybody to understand that what happened was a huge violation of my rights as an author, not to mention me as a human being. As the author of the Twilight Saga, I control the copyright and it is up to the owner of the copyright to decide when the books should be made public; this is the same for musicians and filmmakers. […] This has been a very upsetting experience for me, but I hope it will at least leave my fans with a better understanding of copyright and the importance of artistic control.”

See the whole Quill piece here.

No comments: