Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Highway 17


(image, Thessalon town hall)

I'm just back from my too-brief tour of the near north in Ontario. I did readings and signings in Thessalon, Sault Ste. Marie and some distance away up the Chapleau highway, back in the woods on a deck overlooking a beautiful lake whose name I now forget. It was a delightful trip. I stayed with friends in Thessalon -- writers Gordon Graham and Angie Gallop -- and we dreamed big about creating a regular summer author festival for that region. Considering the media attention and turnout provided for one travelling author, the summer population in and around Sault Ste. Marie can definitely support a literary festival.



There I am, reading to a collection of northern book clubs on a beautiful late-summer afternoon, just before we relaxed into the evening with wine, food and the Northern Jazz Trio out of the Sault. I have a short audio clip of my reading, and will load it as soon as I figure out how to do that.

No comments: